Written by Marissa Ann Portillo, BS, RLATG, CM
Welcome back to our pet recipes series!
For September, we are paying tribute to the apple picking season that is upon us by making:
Wholesome Apple Bites
This delicious vegan recipe is just the treat to get your pups in the mood for early autumn! Whether you go on an annual apple picking adventure, or you take advantage of local farmers markets with fresh produce, this recipe is a healthy, yummy treat to help you use up that big bag of apples.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
- ½ cup diced apple (my pups love McIntosh!)
- ¼ cup unsweetened organic peanut butter
(Note: for a gluten-free option, you can use oat flour)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix wet ingredients in a bowl and slowly add flour while stirring. Dough should be firm but still slightly sticky.
- Roll small quarter-sized balls of dough and spread evenly on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 8 minutes or until golden brown.
Tested and approved by CoCo Bean, Sebastian, Miss Piggy, and Smeagol!
Stay tuned for next month’s October/Halloween-themed recipe!